Professor Alan Hedge (

Course Description

This course provides in-depth coverage of the nature of indoor air pollutants and techniques for analyzing indoor air quality in modern work environments. Emphasis is placed on understanding key concepts in environmental exposure, toxicology, and epidemiology, and on understanding the procedures for assessing indoor air quality conditions. Coverage also includes detailed consideration of the design of modern ventilation systems.

Course Objectives

This course aims to familiarize students with the information necessary for analyzing and solving indoor air quality problems in modern work environments. Upon completion of this course the student should:

1. understand concepts used to describe environmental exposures.

2. understand health reactions to environmental exposures.

3. understand the choices of indoor air quality analytical methods.

4. develop a repertoire of skills associated with indoor air quality measurement methods and analytical techniques.

5. understand how to conduct an indoor air quality survey and develop recommendations for resolving indoor air quality concerns in work environments.

Course Format

The course meets twice each week for a total of three hours. This time will be used for a combination of seminar discussion and class work. Where appropriate, guest speakers may contribute to the course. Class readings will be assigned. Course performance will be assessed using miniprojects, a midterm and a final examination.


Detailed guidance on the two miniprojects will be given in the course. Each project will be conducted in a "real world" setting and will demonstrate the application of a specific indoor air quality assessment method.

Grading Scheme:

The following grading scheme will be used: 50% Exams (1 midterm prelim - 25%, 1 final exam, non-cumulative - 25%); 50% Miniprojects (2 assignments worth 25% each).