Motorola, Inc., Personal Communications Sector
233 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 U.S.A. Tel: +1 312 540 3501
Who We Are
Consumer Experience Design (CXD) is an organization within Motorola’s Mobile Devices (MD)
division. We employ a user-centered design approach in order to optimize business strategies,
build our brand, ensure usability and develop rich experiences. Our group is responsible for
defining the physical and digital experience of Motorola’s mobile devices: Our activities include
industrial design, interaction design, screen and information design, color, material and finish
specifications, product graphic design, task flow specifications, lighting and visual media
design, sound design and animation.
We work with global and product marketing teams, systems engineering, software
development, mechanical and electrical design, business groups and our advanced technology
labs. In addition to our offices in Libertyville and Chicago Illinois, we maintain specialist and
regional teams in Beijing, London, San Francisco, Seoul and Singapore.
UI Designer, Voice Recognition: This is an entry to mid-level position. The User Interface
Designer for Voice Recognition (VR) applications will lead and actively participate in the
planning, documentation and development of voice user interfaces for multiple mobile device
functions. In addition, the user interface designer will help champion the end-user and promote
user-centered design methodologies throughout the Mobile Devices organization.
Chicago and Libertyville, Illinois
Some travel may be required
We are seeking candidates with an excellent understanding of usability and user-centered
design principles and development techniques, research methodologies and business drivers,
as well as a flexible approach to work and an eagerness to learn.
General qualifications for UI Design positions include:
• Familiarity with Concept Development, Design and Process Methodology, Scenario Planning, User Interface Modeling, and Information Design
• Creative Problem Solving skills
• Ability to work independently as well as with a team
• Self-motivated with a high level of responsibility and professionalism
• Exceptional communication skills (writing, listening, presenting)
• English proficiency required; Other languages a plus (particularly Mandarin)
• Attention to detail
• A Bachelor’s or Masters degree in a related field
Additional Position-Specific Qualifications Include:
• Solid knowledge of industry best practices in voice user interface design.
• Understanding of speech recognition technologies
• Prior experience drafting/designing speech voice user interfaces.
• An understanding of branding in the voice environment, including persona, audio logos,
and other non-verbal messaging.
• IVR and Speech Application Experience
• Experience writing voice prompts, designing call flows, coaching voice talent.
• Experience designing and running usability studies on Voice enabled applications/IVR.
How to apply
To Apply, Please do the following
Contact: Nitin Gupta
Please be sure to clearly indicate in the email “Subject” header: VR UI Designer.
Motorola is an Equal Opportunity Employer