DEA 3510 Homework 1
Ergonomics and Display Design
For this homework you need to find TWO examples of "good" visual
information display design, and TWO examples of "bad" visual information
display design. For each example you should name the display, the type of display and clearly label
whether you think this is good or bad design. Then you also need to provide the following ergonomic analysis information:
You should present your ergonomic analysis by referring to the principles
of visual display design that are relevant to the type of visual display
that you are evaluating. (You should refer to material in relevant chapters of the course text and/or that presented in class. Also, you can refer
to any other relevant texts/reports/research journal articles as well. If you do this then include a reference list as an appendix).
- What type of visual display, in human factors terms, is being evaluated?
- What is the function of the visual display?
- Where is the visual display located/positioned?
- What are the environmental considerations for the display?
- What are the good and/or bad features of the visual display from a
human factors viewpoint (support your analysis with principles from the class
notes and readings)?
- Include an image of the display (preferably a photograph or if not available then a drawing of the
- Recommendations for improving the design of the bad displays, and
suggestions even for the good displays if required support your analysis
with principles from the class notes and readings). A sketch of your
recommended displayu design for bad displays should be included where applicable.
You should write no more than two pages of text per display describing the above
for each of the four displays you have chosen (maximum of 8 pages of text in total
Your evaluation should make reference to human factors design principles
and show how these are violated, in the case of bad design, and how these
are followed, in the case of good design. Drawings, or photographs, or slides
of the displays you evaluate should be presented in the body of your
Your homework should be typed. This homework is worth 10% of your course
Deadline: You should hand your homework in at the end of class on
Thursday, September 28, 2017.